Friday, October 11, 2013

A Review of Dan Brown's Inferno


            First of all, my instinct is to apologize for the blog that has lain dormant for a year. I must however shush that instinct, because truth be told, I am not at all remorseful that I didn’t write over the year. I simply couldn’t have. I was working very hard on completeing my Master of Arts in English, while holding up not one, but two jobs. I just wrapped up my final paper in August, and almost immediately after left for a wonderful (but whirlwind) trip to Ireland for two weeks. Since I’ve been back, I’ve been recovering from a touch of burn out… which has brought me to writing for you, at this present moment. I’ve sorely missed writing, even though its only been a few weeks.
             You see, as part of my recovery, I took a little vacation from writing, and even from reading. I started with… I am deeply ashamed to say this… deep breath… tabloids. Pictures and short shallow blurbs were the only things that seemed salient to be all my exhausted and ADD addled brain in the airports to and from Ireland.
             Next I moved on to various more content focused magazines. One that have I particularly enjoyed is ELLE. I am not at all even remotely claiming to be a fashionista; most of the fashion content goes right over my head. They do however have an excellent selection of journalistic articles and reviews of a variety of subjects, books, and films. Such articles were good reads, but did not involve the long term commitment of a novel or a book (oh the drama… alas, this is how tired I was.)
             My next, most recent step has been to move on to a book. I’m proud to announce that I’m back to real big kid books, complete with stories featuring developed plots. I am not so proud to announce the book I chose for my return is Dan Brown’s Inferno, which was in a word, wretched.
             I did not begin this book expecting epic plot, nuanced characters, or even beautiful prose, but I did expect that I would have had some sort of plot progression. Instead, I endured Inferno’s pointless plot and Brown’s worst, most dry writing to date. And yes, finishing this book was an act of endurance.
             To quickly gloss this book for those who are (blissfully) unaware, Inferno is Dan Brown’s latest installation into the adventures of Robert Langdon (of DaVinci Code fame). The beginning of the book had me hooked: Langdon wakes up in a hospital and cannot remember any recent events, or where he is; a deranged scientist simultaneously threatens to release a dangerous virus.
             In typical Dan Brown fashion, Robert Langdon’s adventure begins at the intersection of science of religion, dealing with overpopulation, scientific interventions and their redundancy due to the Catholic Church’s intervention. From the get go, the issue of overpopulation, while terrifying, does not create the immediate intrigue in the audience when compared to the wild conspiracy theories featured in Brown’s other novels.
             I will admit that there was a twist that I did not see coming, and for good reason. Brown essentially renders his entire plot moot on multiple occasions. The book ends up being literally pointless.
             As for the writing: Dan Brown has never been Ondaatje when it comes to the poetry of prose, but Inferno was a new low. Much of the close readings of art that I do enjoy in Brown’s other books is missing here. Brown also missed many opportunities to create symbols: going to great lengths to set opportunities up, only to leave them dangling (a great mystery considering the book is about a symbologist). I typically enjoy the descriptions of Langdon’s travel adventures, being an aficionado of travel myself, but honestly… My lonely planet travel guide to Florence read more elegantly than parts of Inferno. Brown focused on bland and pointless details, shifting focus from the already lacking plot. There is also no character development, meaning there was no reader investment into any character, an integral function that was missing. If none of the action has any consequence because the reader doesn’t care about the characters, where does that leave an action novel? Collecting dust on the shelf.

Did you read Inferno? If so, what did you think? Has anyone had a good read lately? I’d love to hear any recommendations in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment